Ok, our problem is in our master bath. It has one sink, one toilet and one stand up shower. This bathroom is the closest room to our septic tank, which is about 30 feet. There is a cleanout right outside our bathroom and it looks clear.
We think the smell is coming from our shower. It is a sour, musty, moldy smell. It does not smell like sewage.
Here are the things we have tried:
*We snaked all of the drains from the roof. Toilet, shower and sink have their own vent pipes. All were clear. When we snaked the shower, the snake smelled like the sour smell.
* Had smoke test. They said everything was fine except that the toilets burped. They did not know why. Charged us $300 and told us to call them if the smell gets worse.
* Had septic pumped. This did not help.
* We attempted to re-grout the shower. It smelled sour, but the smell remains.
* Replaced exhaust light/fan and hose. It was moldy and smelled sour but it did not help.
* Removed the glass shower door and frame
* Cleaned sink overflow and ptrap. They were dirty, but the smell persists
It seems like when I clean the shower with soap and bleach, the smell goes away for 3 or 4 days, but then it comes back. I also think that the smell may be worse on windy days, but am not sure.
Any ideas? From what we have read ******, we are thinking we may need to tear out and replace our shower because the drain pan is moldy or we have some sort of air pressure issue. If I leave the bathroom window cracked, the smell is very faint.
This is our dream home. It is not big, but we love it except for this bathroom issue. We moved here five years ago and cannot figure this one out. Thank you to anyone that takes the time to look into this! God bless!