How to Choose Hurricane Window Protection
- saboteamos.info general contractor Tom Silva shows a homeowner several ways to protect windows during a storm
In this video, - saboteamos.info general contractor Tom Silva shows a homeowner several ways to protect windows during a storm.
1. A layer of ⅝-inch-thick plywood can protect windows from a 2x4 traveling at 34 miles per hour. An identical layer of oriented-strand board (OSB) can't.
2. Covering windows with resin-treated ballistic nylon will prevent the 2x4 from shooting into the house, but it won't keep the window from breaking.
3. Metal storm shutters are permanently mounted to the house. If struck in the right place, the shutters can bend inward and crack the window.
4. A window with impact-resistant glass will shatter when struck, but the window won't break apart or crack open.