How to Install a Basement Laundry
Ask - saboteamos.info plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey helps a homeowner install a washer and dryer in his basement
In this video, Ask - saboteamos.info plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey helps a homeowner install a washer and dryer in his basement.
1. To install the dryer vent, use a small drill bit to drill through the side of the wall of the house. Pick a spot that's near the base of the home and free from obstructions.
2. With the small hole as a guide, use a 2½ inch hole saw to saw through the house siding and into the basement.
3. Place a bead of caulk around the dryer vent where it connects to the building. Then screw in the vent using a driver.
4. Connect the flexible metal dryer vent tubing to the dryer vent using zip screws and a driver.
5. Use an elbow fitting to connect the dryer vent tubing to the back of the dryer.
6. Connect the dryer vent tubing to the back of the dryer using a hose clamp.
7. Plug in the dryer into a 240-volt receptacle.
8. Next, to connect the washtub and water pump, use a reciprocating saw to cut out a piece of old galvanized pipe.
9. Replace the pipe section with a PVC Y-fitting and connect it to the old galvanized pipe using a rubber coupling.
10. Ensure the water supply is off, then, using a copper pipe cutter, cut the existing hot and cold water lines.
11. Replace copper pipe connections with copper pipe T-fittings.
12. Then connect new copper pipes to T-fittings that will lead to washer.
13. Apply flux to each joint and solder the connections with a torch.
14. At the washing machine supply location, install a washing machine shutoff valve.
15. Attach stainless steel hoses to the washtub and faucet supply line. Hand-tighten and then snug them up with a pair of pliers.
16. Connect 1-inch PVC pipes from the washtub to PVC Y-connection and drain line. Ensure you install a check valve to prevent discharged water from returning to the pump and a ball valve to control the flow.
17. Move washer into place and connect the stainless-steel hoses supply hoses.
18. Be sure to throttle down the water pump until it continuously stays on while water is being fed. Otherwise it will short cycle, shortening the life of the pump.