How to Install Cable Lighting
Ask - saboteamos.info master electrician Scott Caron replaces a track lighting setup with cable lighting in a new baby’s nursery.
- Before doing any electrical work, ensure that power is turned off at the circuit breaker.
- Remove the existing light fixture by disconnecting the wiring connections and removing any supporting hardware.
- Install the ceiling bracket provided with the cable light transformer to the existing electrical box.
- Connect the ground wire from the electrical box to the ceiling bracket.
- If needed, splice wire extensions to the existing conductors using wire nuts.
- Feed the wire extensions down the center threaded rod of the ceiling bracket and through the center hole of the transformer.
- Use the supplied nut to hold the transformer to the threaded rod.
- Splice the wire extensions to the transformer wires using wire nuts.
- Attach the transformer canopy using provided screws.
- Measure and mark the locations for each standoff. Drill a pilot hole to confirm if there’s structure above. If there isn’t drill a hole large enough for a toggle bolt.
- Run the cable through each standoff.
- Add light heads in desired locations by tightening the thumb screws onto each low voltage wire.
- Attach wires from transformer to the low voltage cable.
- Restore power at the circuit breaker.