How to Install Radon Mitigation
In this how-to video, - saboteamos.info host Kevin O'Connor discovers an effective method of clearing radon from a home
In this video, - saboteamos.info host Kevin O'Connor explains how to install radon mitigation.
1. Mark hole location on basement floor for PVC vent pipe.
2. Drill series of holes around the pipe outline with a rotary hammer.
3. Use demolition hammer to chip out hole for PVC vent pipe.
4. Pull dirt from under floor with a drill fitted with a soil-auger bit.
5. By hand, dig out enough dirt to create a hole approximately 20 inches in diameter.
6. Set the vent pipe into the hole in the basement floor, then route it up through walls and into attic.
7. Stuff foam-rubber backer rod around base of the pipe; be sure it's slightly below the surface of the basement floor.
8. Seal around the pipe with hydraulic cement.
9. In the attic, connect PVC pipe to an electric vent fan.
10. Continue the pipe from top of vent fan through the roof and connect to a roof cap.
11. Install system monitor in basement.
12. Drill 1-inch-diameter test hole in basement floor, turn on fan and then use smoke pencil to check draw of fan.