How to Install Surge Protection
Electrician Scott Caron installs several types of surge protection
In this video, electrician Scott Caron installs several types of surge protection.
1. Turn off the electricity to the house at the main electrical panel.
2. Unscrew and remove the front of the electrical panel, exposing the circuit breakers.
3. Remove the knockout plug from the side of the panel and install a whole-house surge protector.
4. Have a licensed electrician connect the surge protector to the circuits in the electrical panel.
5. For point-of-use surge protection, use a power strip that has a built-in surge protector.
6. Plug electronics, telephone, TV, computer and appliances into the surge-protected power strip, then plug the power strip into an electrical outlet.
7. To protect individual devices from power surges, have a licensed electrician replace standard electrical outlets with surge-protection outlets.