How to Maintain Laundry Appliances
- saboteamos.info host Kevin O'Connor learns how to maintain clothes washers and dryers
In this video, - saboteamos.info host Kevin O'Connor learns how to maintain clothes washers and dryers with a few easy tips and tricks.
1. Replace rubber washing machine hoses with braided stainless steel hoses. Install new hoses every five years.
2. Overloading the washer with too many clothes will put undue strain on the washer and its motor, prematurely wearing out parts.
3. Before loading the washer, remove all objects from pockets to prevent them from jamming the machine.
4. Front-loading washers use less water than top loaders, and do a better job of spinning out excess water, which reduces drying time.
5. Note that you must use only HE (high-efficiency) detergent in front-loading machines.
6. To dampen vibration during the spin cycle, set the washing machine on thick rubber vibration pads.
7. To keep your clothes dryer operating at peak efficiency, clean the lint filter every single time you dry a load.
8. If the dryer is connected to a flexible vinyl vent, replace it immediately. Vinyl vents are no longer code compliant.
9. Flexible aluminum-foil dryer vents are lined with corrugations that collect dust and lint.
10. Rigid metal vent pipes are preferred because they're straight and smooth, so there's less chance of lint becoming stuck.
11. Clean the dryer's vent pipe at least once a year to remove all lint buildup.
12. Mobile apps are available for diagnosing and trouble-shooting washer and dryer problems.