How to Move a Box Spring Up a Narrow Staircase
Ask - saboteamos.info general contractor Tom Silva shows how to cut and fold—and then fix—a rigid box spring
In this video, Ask - saboteamos.info general contractor Tom Silva shows how to cut and fold—and then fix—a rigid box spring.
1. Lay a large tarp on the driveway, then place the box spring facedown on the tarp.
2. Use a narrow slotted screwdriver to pry up the staples that secure the fabric to the bottom of the box spring. Peel back the fabric to expose the wood frame.
3. Pry up and remove the metal support bar.
4. Fold down the fabric on each of the long sides of the box spring.
5. Use a handsaw to cut through the 1x3 wood strapping on each side.
6. Fold the box spring in half, then secure it with a long bungee cord.
7. Carry the folded box spring up the stairs and into the bedroom.
8. Unhook the bungee cord and flatten out the box spring.
9. Use a hammer and a 2x4 block to straighten out any badly bent box-spring wires.
10. Drill 5/32-inch-diameter pilot holes at an angle through the strapping cut in Step 5.
11. Reattach the cut strapping with two 2½-inch-long screws; repeat to secure the cut strapping on the opposite side.
12. Replace the metal support with a 1x3 cut to length. Screw the 1x3 to the wood frame of the box spring.
13. Staple the fabric back onto the underside of the box spring.