How to Prevent Water Damage From Household Fixtures
- saboteamos.info plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey shows ways to detect and stop common plumbing leaks
In this video, - saboteamos.info plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey shows ways to detect and stop common plumbing leaks.
1. Use a battery-powered moisture sensor for most-basic level of protection.
2. Set moisture sensor on floor beside water heater, washing machine or sink. If a leak occurs, the sensor will sound an alarm.
3. A wireless shut-off valve can be connected to several wireless moisture sensors. When a leak is detected, the valve automatically shuts off the water flow.
4. Place a drip pan beneath a water heater to catch any leaks. However, it's important to connect the pan to a nearby drain.
5. For a higher level of water-heater security, install an automatic shut-off valve with moisture sensor.
6. If you can't raise the water heater to slide in a drip pan, wrap a flexible water dam around the base of the heater. Then set a water sensor inside the dam to detect moisture.
7. Set your washing machine on top of a plastic pan, then run a drainpipe from the pan to a nearby floor drain.
8. Install an automatic shut-off valve with moisture sensor to the wall directly behind the washing machine.
9. Plug in the washing machine and then attach the two water hoses. The valve will automatically shut-off the sensor detects a leak.
10. To prevent damage from busted water-supply lines, install an in-line automatic shut-off valve.