How to Rebuild a Shutoff Valve
Ask - saboteamos.info plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey helps a homeowner replace the shutoff valve underneath her kitchen sink
- Shut the water off to the house.
- Pull the handle off the shutoff valve using the screwdriver.
- Loosen the gland nut behind the handle using the wrench.
- Unscrew and remove the valve.
- Screw in the new valve from the repair kit.
- Tighten the gland nut back over the new valve with the wrench.
- Put the handle back on with the screwdriver.
- Turn the water back on.
Richard repaired the stem on the kitchen faucet shutoff valve using a multi-turn valve stem repair kit, manufactured by .
Everything else he used to repair the shutoff valve, including the wrench and the screwdriver, can be purchased at home centers and plumbing supply stores.