How to Replace a Post Light
Ask - saboteamos.info master electrician Scott Caron helps a homeowner replace a lamppost light in his driveway
In this video, Ask - saboteamos.info master electrician Scott Caron helps a homeowner replace a lamppost light in his driveway.
1. Turn off power to the area by shutting down the circuit breaker.
2. Disconnect the existing lantern fixture from the post.
3. Cut, using wire cutters, or disconnect the wiring that attaches the fixture to the post wiring.
4. Using a shovel, dig out around the post and remove the current post from the ground.
5. Position the new aluminum post in the old hole.
6. Fish the old wire through the aluminum post and bring it up to the top.
7. Use a level to ensure the aluminum post sits plumb.
8. Pour fast-setting cement into the hole and then soak it with water. Allow the concrete to set at least 30 minutes.
9. Connect the electrical wires from the new lantern fixture to the post wires using pliers and wire nuts.
10. Hand-tighten screws and nuts to shore up the lantern fixture on top of the aluminum post.
11. Replace the existing light switch with an astronomical timer that will automatically turn lighting on and off with changes in the seasons by undoing the wiring on the existing switch and replicating that wiring on the new switch.