How to Upgrade a Mantel, Hearth and Surround
- saboteamos.info general contractor Tom Silva shows how to beautify an old, ugly brick fireplace
In this video, - saboteamos.info general contractor Tom Silva shows how to beautify an old, ugly brick fireplace.
1. Remove the protruding brick corbelling from the face of the fireplace using a masonry hammer and cold chisel.
2. Chop out the old hearth and mortar bed using a hammer and cold chisel.
3. Mix up a batch of mortar; spread the mortar over hearth using a smooth trowel. Allow mortar bed to cure for two days.
4. Install granite hearth and surround to the using masonry adhesive.
5. Assemble the knock-down mantle surround using a screwdriver.
6. Set assembled mantel into place against the fireplace wall.
7. Scribe a line around the mantel and onto the wall; move the mantel out of the way.
8. Screw 2x2 cleats to the wall using 3-inch screws. Position cleats ¾ inch inside of the pencil lines.
9. Set the mantel in place against the wall, then use a gas-powered or pneumatic nailer to fasten through the top and sides of the mantel and into the cleats.
10. Install beaded molding around the inside perimeter of the mantel surround.