How to Winterize Raised Beds
In this video, - saboteamos.info landscape contractor Roger Cook shares his secrets for readying a raised bed for the winter
In this video, - saboteamos.info landscape contractor Roger Cook shares readies a raised bed for the winter.
1. Rake the raised bed clean of all dead plant debris; dump debris into compost bin.
2. Spread 2-inch layer of compost, topsoil and sand over the bed.
3. Sprinkle a light coating of ground limestone over the soil to raise the pH level.
4. Turn over the soil with a spade fork.
5. Loosely spread early-blooming tulip bulbs over the entire bed, then push the bulbs 4 to 6 inches into the soil with their pointy ends facing up.
6. Spread winter rye seed over the raised bed, then lightly rake it into the soil.
7. Water the bed each day for three days.