Revisiting Our Hybrid Water Heater Install
Ask - saboteamos.info plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey returns to a home he visited four years earlier to replace a faulty water heater.
- Unplug the electrical connections.
- Turn the gas valve off.
- Turn off the water supply to the current water heater.
- Drain the current water heater using a hose into a utility sink or a bucket.
- Break the connections on the current water heater by cutting the copper pipes with a pipe cutter and breaking the gas line nut connections using opposing force and pipe wrenches.
- Mount the new hybrid water heater unit to the wall.
- Use 3” PVC pipe for both the air intake piping and the exhaust flue products. Dry fit all the connections first.
- Once the dry fittings are set, use PVC primer and cement to make the connections permanent.
- Dry fit the copper water line connections into the unit and out of the unit using 1” copper. Be sure to clean each pipe with emery cloth for a tight connection.
- Make permanent connections on the 1” copper pipe lines using flux, solder, and a torch.
- Install a temperature and pressure relief valve on the water line.
- Connect the gas line piping using pipe wrenches and opposing force.
- Plug in the unit to an electrical outlet.
- Turn the gas valve back on. Check for any leaks using a soap solution. Bubbles will show a leak.
- Turn the water supply line back on. Check for any leaks in the copper pipes.