With winter upkeep to-do lists, lots of gift shopping, and the to-be-paid monthly bills, it is easy to feel disorganized during the din of holidays. This compact home office is a great DIY gift idea for yourself or a loved one. Carve one out from a seldom-used closet by removing the existing rod and following these tips:
1. Set shelves at least 1 foot apart and mount with standards, which can hold up to 70 pounds per foot. Try: Elfa's Driftwood and Platinum Office in a Closet, $232; .
2. Avoid clutter by stashing stationery and odds and ends in labeled, stackable boxes.
3. If your doors don't fold, take advantage of vertical real estate by screwing thin sheets of cork to their back sides for posting notes and bills.
4. Set your to-do lists in sight with a small, movable magnetic or dry-erase board. To make a one-of-a-kind version, prime and coat a piece of wood with blackboard paint.
5. Pick a narrow desk with slim drawers directly beneath the top for space-saving, easy-to-access storage.
6. Instead of installing a ceiling light, opt for a task lamp with an adjustable arm.