How to Install a New Threshold
In this how-to video, - saboteamos.info general contractor Tom Silva installs a new oak door threshold
In this video, - saboteamos.info general contractor Tom Silva explains how to replace a threshold.
1. Remove old threshold from doorway using hammer and reciprocating saw.
2. Use reciprocating saw to cut the nails securing toekick; remove toekick.
3. Test-fit new threshold in doorway.
4. Build up toekick and subfloor with pressure-treated lumber; re-install toekick.
5. Apply bead of tri-polymer caulk to joint between finished floor and new threshold.
6. Install new threshold, then tap shims underneath.
7. Close door and check for even gap along threshold.
8. Open door, and apply expanding polyurethane sealant under the threshold.
9. Close the door, then tap shims between door bottom and top of threshold; leave shims in place until the sealant cures.
10. Sand threshold, then finish with an exterior paint or stain and topcoat that contains a ultra-violet protector.
See products and services from this episode