Build It | CNC Built Stool
Ask - saboteamos.info general contractor Tom Silva travels to a workshop in San Francisco to build a stool using computer-based tools.
- When using computerized equipment, begin by designing the finished piece using a 3D CAD program.
- A laser printer is often used for etching metal and glass, but it can also be used for making a physical model using plywood.
- A 3D printer can prototype smaller sections of the design, like where two joints come together and how stock hardware interfaces with the 3D model.
- A water jet uses a high-pressure stream of water mixed with garnet to cut the aluminum legs and base, including countersinks, mortises, and tenons.
- A CNC router can mill the wood top using several different cutter heads.
- The final assembly takes place by hand.
Tom visited Autodesk at Pier 9. The stool he built was based on a design by Matt Hutchinson, a designer at PATH.