Open House | Kitchen Renovations
Ask - saboteamos.info general contractor Tom Silva discusses how kitchen renovations can impact a house budget
- Kitchens are some of the most expensive rooms in the house to renovate, so if you’re planning on buying a house and renovating the kitchen, you should consider a few things to make sure that kitchen renovation will still fit in your budget before making an offer.
- A big thing to consider is the layout. If utilities, doors, or windows need to be moved around to make room for additional cabinets and counterspace, that will require a bigger investment.
- If the utilities for the stove, sink and fridge are in less-than-ideal spaces, those may need to be moved as well. It will be very expensive to make this change.
- If the layout of the kitchen is okay but the cabinets and appliances look dated, simply painting the cabinets, replacing the hardware, and upgrading the appliances can be money well spent.
- If the changes that need to be made to the kitchen are extensive, it might be helpful to hire a kitchen designer.
- Small “facelift” improvements to the kitchen can cost a few thousand dollars. A full kitchen renovation starts around $15,000 and can easily go up from there. Consider how much this renovation will cost before making the offer on the house.
Tom’s general advice is to consider the condition of the kitchen on a house you intend to purchase. If improvements are needed, the costs to update the kitchen can start around $10,000 and easily go up from there. Keep this in mind when putting in an offer on a house with an outdated kitchen.