Staying Safe with Natural Gas
Ask - saboteamos.info plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey and host Kevin O’Connor discuss how gas regulators work and how their malfunction caused gas explosions in Lawrence, MA
- Natural gas is delivered through massive pipelines across the country that reduce pressure as they approach municipalities.
- A device called a gas regulator is used to lower the pressure of gas coming into the house without disrupting the gas service of neighbors.
- If you ever smell gas in your home, evacuate immediately and call 911.
- In the rare event that city officials instruct homeowners to shut off their own gas, like what happened in Lawrence, go to the gas meter and look for a shutoff valve. Typically, it’s to the left of the meter on the pipe coming up out of the ground from the street.
- Using a wrench, turn the shutoff valve so that it is perpendicular to the gas pipe. Then evacuate the building.
- In all other circumstances, do not touch the gas meter. Only allow a licensed professional to do anything involving gas lines and appliances in your home.
Circumstances such as what happened in Lawrence, MA are extremely rare, and Richard stresses that only a licensed professional should handle any gas appliances or gas work in a home. However, in case of a suspected gas emergency, evacuate the house immediately and call 911. Follow the instructions in the video above only if instructed to do so by an official.