How to Level a Concrete Floor
- saboteamos.info general contractor Tom Silva shows how to resurface an uneven concrete slab
In this video, - saboteamos.info general contractor Tom Silva shows how to resurface an uneven concrete slab.
1. Lay long, straight 2x4 rail across the concrete-slab floor, with one end positioned on the high point in room.
2. Slip shims under the low end of the 2x4 rail until it's perfectly level.
3. Use a scribing tool to transfer the unevenness of the floor onto the rail.
4. Cut the rail along the scribed line with a circular saw.
5. Set the scribed 2x4 rail back into position on the floor and check it for level. If necessary, scribe and cut it again.
6. Secure the scribed rail to the slab with construction adhesive.
7. Bore pilot holes through the rail and into the concrete using a hammer-drill fitted with carbide-tipped masonry bit.
8. Fasten the rail to the slab with masonry nails.
9. Lay a second 2x4 rail across the floor, setting one end on top of the first rail.
10. Shim the second rail level.
11. Adjust the scribing tool to the height of the second rail, then draw a short reference line onto the second rail.
12. Widen the legs of the scribing tool to span from the floor up to the reference mark.
13. Guide the scribing tool along the floor to transfer its unevenness onto the second rail.
14. Repeat Steps 4 through 8 to level, trim and install the second rail.
15. Cut a third 2x4 rail to span across the two previously installed rails.
16. Adjust the scribing tool to the height of the rail underneath one end of the third rail.
17. Draw a short reference line onto the third rail, then adjust the scribing tool to span from the floor up to the reference mark.
18. Follow the floor with the scribing tool to mark a cut line along the third rail.
19. Cut and install the third rail, just as you did the previous two rails.
20. Use a ½-inch drill fitted with a mixing paddle to mix a bucket of leveling compound.
21. Slowly pour leveling compound inside the perimeter of the rails.
22. Strike off the excess compound and level the surface using a screed made from a 6-inch-wide straight-edged board. Allow the leveling compound to cure overnight.
23. If necessary, repeat this process to level the floor in other parts of the room.